Friday, March 26, 2010

From splendid reading to deep realizations....

I have to say that I'm actually impressed with myself... I've finished reading 3 books in one month! Okay if you don't think Diary of a Wimpy Kid should be acknowledged as a book --- get this - I read 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini and khatam within a week!

When I started reading the book, honestly, I was quite hesitant to continue. I did'nt think that I would be able to finish the book. Heavy drama which would require full concentration and time. Tough!

But the book is indeed a page-turner. I was consumed with emotions throughout.

The book tells a story about the plight of 2 women in Afghanistan, Laila and Mariam. I love the way the writer differentiated the strengths and weaknesses of these 2 women. In the beginning, you can't help but feel uncomfortable about the mistreatments and the inability of these women to fight for their rights. But as you go along reading the book, you tend to understand why they are what the are... and you will have a sense of admiration for these women especially for Mariam who in the end had sacrifised so much for the happiness of others.

I find myself a bit heartbroken as well. I had wished that Mariam too would find happiness with Laila. I had wished that she would fought for her life when she was sentenced to death for killing her husband. But that's the syariah law and she fully took responsibility for her wrong doings.
And she knew that she would find an even more meaningful sense of happiness with God.

"Mariam wished for so much in those final moments. Yet as she closed her eyes, it was not regret any longer but a sensation of abundant peace that washed her over..... Mariam's final thoughts were a few words from the Koran, which she muttered under her breath:
He has created the heavens and the earth with the truth; He makes the night cover the day and makes the day overtake the night, and He has made the moon and the sun subservient; each one runs on to an assigned term; now surely He is the Mighty, Great Forgiver. "

Although the book ended with Laila and her efforts to make a difference in her life and others in Kabul, Mariam's character is too compelling to be forgotten. It is through her inner character that she has reached out to others - in the book - and also the readers.

This book has in a way inspired me to be a better mother and o well... actually to even have another baby.... ;) It's amazing how Khaled Hosseini, a male, could write very well about the love of a mother. I could feel the strong bond and the love of Laila, Mariam, Aziza and Zalmai.

But what I love the most about the book is all the realizations that it had brought on to me. The realization .....
..... of how thankful I should be with the life that I have....
..... of not to be consumed with petty things....
..... of the joy and appreciation that I value to be in the company of good friends...
..... of my parents who will forever be my umbrella of comfort..
.... 0f the hope of as a mother that when I leave this world I want to have the comfort of knowing my Amir and Sarah would be living a good life, if not better than I have...
.... of the awakening that as a wife I want to leave the world as a woman who had loved and been loved... that I will always be remembered as a guardian and a companion.

I guess the quest for a meaningful life and existence will never end.

This is a splendid book that I will definitely treasure!



2 comments:

  1. yuhoooo... congrats! congrats! Finished 3 huh?
    I finished 2... maybe sebab cuti kot.. so have ample time to 'layaannnn'..Have another 2 to finish babe!
    When is our next trip to BookXcess? Ni while the 'pocket' is still full.. whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fuh 2 books? The books u bought were thick! terer..terer... I tengah menahan nafsu pegi bookxcess...Ada 2 lagi buku nak baca!

    ReplyDelete