Saturday, May 14, 2011

Eating vs cooking

Like I said..I've been eating and eating and eating...
This whole week has been like food testing week for me...


Lamb shank @ Full House


Brownies with ice-cream, Blueberry cheesecake and Black Forest @ Full House


Great discovery! Super Yummy Pavlova @ Alexis that would make you go OMG!


It's amazing how some people can prepare these kind of meals in a heartbeat.



I am rather ambitious when it comes to cooking but get disheartened easily if what I prepare don't go the way I expect it to be or don't get the kind of response that I would hope for from my 'customers'. Hence I have not been doing that much of cooking for many many moons already.



Tuna Potato Salad - tried this about 2 months ago



Ayam masak kicap and sambal tumis kentang - tried this 2 months ago


I guess as far as cooking is concerned, well it’s no secret that I am not a great cook. On the days that I would grab some onions or chillies from Mama's kitchen, Mama would go like...you wanna cook? Sure or notttttttt.... :p Yeah...I try laa… it would usually take me hours and hours to cook a simple dish sometimes because I need to look at the recipe and follow every single thing that it says to the core. So kalau ada resipi yang cakap ‘garam dan gula secukup rasa’, then I would go like WHAT THE HECCCCKKKK..cakap je la berapa sudu or berapa cubit..


These days, my level of cooking and experimenting recipes have been downgraded to cucur udang for breakfast, nasik goreng kampong for lunch and nuggets/french fries on weekends. However like any other great or not-so great cooks, I have my own specialty too - mashed potatoes… Yeappp…that’s Jiji’s specials.. I am sure glad that it is because I love everything potatoes. And mashed potatoes goes on the list to be one of my all time favourite foods.. maybe it is the softness of it that somehow gives me a sense of warmth, comfort and sheer pleasure... :)

I was looking at a blog for some recipes the other day and found this lovely quote by Nigella Lawson, British food writer, journalist and broadcaster.



" ...... there are times when only mashed potato will do.”

So yeah.. I think I should not be so frazzled about cooking. Not that I am going to cook mashed potatoes everyday laaa. But I should cook what I like and what my 'customers' would like to have. I should not be too ambitious. And should I fail in my cooking... well, fret not... just grab the car key and take the 'customers' elsewhere for good food... hehe..


Note: Next on cooking list - ikan siakap masak stim..

1 comment:

  1. Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri jiji... :) hope you have a nice one
    mvp

    ReplyDelete