Sunday, August 22, 2010

Soul mates - Is there one for everyone?

2 weekends ago I was reading the New Sunday Times and came across an article in the Sunday Spotlight about 'What Women Want' .. Since I've not been contributing that many articles to be published anymore, I thought I would just give my 2 cents worth about the topic.

My view below was published in NST last weekend.

For a woman, fulfillment of the soul sets in when she finds someone whom she would have an emotional feeling of deep connection, friendship and compatibility. If companionship is what she's truly looking for, then the possibility of her brains being muddied by physical attraction would be less likely. Physical attraction could be the starting point. But developing that connection would be a different ball game altogether.

If there is a soul mate for every one of us, then they could cross our path when we're 10 or 70 years old. So we should all be prepared for a lovely surprise. But for those who don't like surprises, maybe the best is to quit looking for a soul mate. Instead, look for a partner who is willing to do the hard work of staying in love once the thrill of believing you found your one and only is a faint memory.




On the same note, I am currently 're-reading' Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and found this quote about soul mates to be pretty interesting:

"People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that's holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. That's too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then they leave."

Very recently, I have indeed found my 'sole mate'.. hehe..Bought these from Zett and totally loving em! :) My first pair of Pied A Terre... could have gotten my first pair of Jimmy Choo's (at half the price that's why rela nak consider..) if I had Cinderella's feet instead of the stepsister's.. ;p

So... if 'soul mates' are just like 'sole mates', would there be one soul mate or many soul mates that would cross our path?

..... Pause to reflect... bout the topic AND the sandals... hehe..

5 comments:

  1. I would agree with Liz Gilbert's definition.You tend to think that your soul mate has almost similar chracteristics/personalities and feels at ease with him/her.More often than not, a soulmate will end up as the person who is important as well as close to your heart, like your very best friend but on a higher level and hardly as your lifetime partner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As with precious jewels, soulmates are a rarity and hard to come by. They are most likely compatible in every single area that one can think of in a relationship. Soulmates should'nt be confused with someone that we marry coz marriage is a concept of partnership and will go thru challenges, sufferings and sometimes lead to failure. But soulmates, they will go through life without much of a hassle coz for someone who is meant to be together and bonded from within, commitments in life and understanding one another are borne naturally and not because of 'learning process', obligation or to avoid the long faces. Once they have found one another, they will be attracted instantaneously and will most likely end up together, if fate is on their side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emy, I love the book too! Can't wait to see the movie. By the way, my 2 cents worth: Your soulmate may not be perfect but just perfect for you. He/she will bring the best out of you. Frankly, I don't see my hubby as my soul mate but I've a friend since Uni whom I am close to, who would probably understand me more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CIP, what happen if both are married with kids? is your advice still valid then? i am not clear with your defination of marriage and concept of partnership. enlighten me.

    ReplyDelete